Thursday, February 02, 2006

Thoughts on Tradition in the Church

Now, I don't really have time for a post, but this issue is bugging me so I thought that I'd get it out.

So I was in Nevada City a few weekends ago, and my uncle and aunt mentioned that there was a "mandala" exhibit at the "St. Joseph's Cultural Center". Now, for those of you who don't know what a mandala is, if you type in mandala on Miriam Webster's website, you will get "Hindu or Buddhist graphic symbol of the universe; specifically : a circle enclosing a square with a deity on each side". This was a sand drawing. The monks would take turns, bending over this 3' by 3' table, adding to this immensly intricate 2' by 2' design. It was incredible to say the least. And I can say that because I would last probably 3 minutes doing that kind of a job. But these monks had been going at it for weeks. And what would they do when they were finished? They would take it and blow it into the Yuba River. Thats buddhist philosophy for you.

Now, the issue is not how amazing this was, the issue is where it took place. They had set up camp in one of three interrelated structures. There is St. Patricks Roman Catholic Church, there is St. Mary's Parish School (which I might add has been around for over 150 years, quite impressive) and there is St. Joseph's Cultural Center. St. Joseph's Cultural Center, if I'm not mistaken, is the old church which they turned into an open venue when St. Patricks went up just across the street. What I don't get is why this Church, and so many other Churches around the country allow a religion, which is so contrary to Christianity, to come under their roof and advertise their religion. I know that we ought to be charitable, but doesn't this seem wrong? Is this just America?

4 comments:

father foos said...

Don't we have an ability to appreciate much from many places? Shouldn't we be open to other religions and ideas??

Generally, I would say yes. I would even say that using a Church building--although not a sanctuary--would be acceptable for such displays. After all, dont' we, in Church schools, study pagan philosophers and pagan art and pagan literature?

The rub in Joe's example is that, in our country, we are expected not only to do this, but to validate that art/philosophy/religion as truth at least equal to what we would understand.

Also, it is hard to imagine our culture giving equal space to Christian art and philosophy. I would be surprised if I was asked to come in and lecture on Christian art in a venue that wasn't Christian. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that the tendancy tends to be Churches expected to open their doors to everything and the Church's message not being particularly welcome in our culture.

So, with those thoughts in mind, I understand and sympathize with your response, Joe.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a problem with studying Buddhism, I would say that it is important. But this was in a sanctuary. I'm open to discussing with buddhists or any others, this just seemed a bit wierd.

Serena said...

As Fr. Foos said, there is a difference between appreciating art and agreeing with the philosophy behind it. For example, I currently have four Chinese idols on the mantel. They're over a hundred years old (thinks I), pure cast iron, and would cause serious blunt object trama and perhaps puncture wounds if you got hit by one. They are also extremely neat peices of art. However, we do not offer rice cakes and tea to them during lunch break.

With that said, I would think it would be appropriate to show 'pagan' art (as art and as long as it was true, good, and beautiful) in a exhibition put on by a Christian group. Unfortunatly, alot of places have taken this rather farther then is healthy. Christians have had a habit in recent years to cave to the snobbish attitude that if we don't except everything the world offers, we're nazis. Or something like that. So you get weird Eastern crap welded into Christian worship (like your Buddhist tradition in the sanctuary. I agree that this is going too far.) and all of a sudden your on the buttery cliff edge of compromising doctrine like, oh, absolute truth.

When the Celts were evangelized, they were allowed to keep pagan holidays and even the temples. They were, however, put to the new, sacred use of the worship of the one true God. They retained what was good and through away what was bad. Unfortunatly in the mainstream Christian culture, there is an apalling lack of discernment as to the boundry line between what is harmless and what corupts.

At this point, Serena must laugh at her ignorence and admit that she is not certain enough of the line to go any further on this subject. I am, however, confident that there is a line and that wiser heads then mine can expound.

-Serena

munkybrat said...

I would think a church needs to remain christian wholley and completly, and not expose itself to other religions to become corrupted. Sure, it should allow buhddists (?) and the like in, but only to present the gospel to them. not to let them bring down the churches good name by looking like it is searching for another religion.

The Creator